Wednesday, May 30, 2012

"A Nice Guy... Sometimes"

     School is busy and I don't get to spend as much time with this guy as I would like, but as often as I can I do. Even if it is just running down to his house to throw him over my shoulders for a minute and see how school went. On days I have more time we go to the park or, in the case of this photo, to McDonald's. Stewart has a desire in his heart to be kind. For the age of six he is incredibly mature and understands more than he probably should at that age. When I ask how his day was he will tell me "good" which will force me to prod further at the conversation, or he'll answer "not good" and then immediately follow with a story of someone that was mean to him or to some other kid at school. He likes to tell me stories of him picking up trash when no one else does and how he stood up for his cousin. These stories make my heart soar. He has however been in a couple fights this year and definitely can show an angry side when antagonized by the older boys. Over this meal at McDonald's I asked Stewart what he wanted to be when he grows up, his answer was, "uh, uh UH, a STN, a skateboarder, a pastor, and a nice guy... sometimes." I have no clue where he even got the idea of pastor but it is so encouraging to know that in one way or the other Jesus is moving in this sweet six-year-olds heart. "A nice guy-sometimes" makes me laugh but it comes with a harsh reality that Stewart is raised to have to fend for his own in many ways which makes him feel pressure to be mean. 

     Please continue to pray with me for Stewart and the many other boys that he represents that the Lord would continue to soften their hearts, change their desires and work through our feeble attempts at loving them.

1 comment:

  1. This is too sweet :) That is wonderful that Stewart looks up to you so much, and you are a great role model to him, especially in showing Christ's love.

    ReplyDelete